There’s some glorious nuggets in the latest Hitwise UK Online Media Round-Up, which I believe you can download from here in exchange for some nuggets of personally identifiable data. Panning for gold yields the following:
- Blogs and Personal Websites is the only Hitwise category not to have increased traffic YOY
- Keeping the Andorra and Croatia games off terrestrial telly worked: Setanta’s website traffic hit an all-time high
- With the credit cruch biting, there was an unseasonal increase in traffic to Employment and Training sites, and a spike in searches for “cv”. Biggest beneficiary of those searches: Google Docs. Somewhere to host a CV, right?
- There’s been an overall decline in searches for ethical consumer keywords. It may be a luxury we can no longer afford, unfortunately
- There’s been more traffic to utility company websites. Energy prices are starting to hurt
- Traffic to house and garden retail websites: up. Traffic to estate agent websites: down. We’re staying put and making good
- News Aggregators are a growth industry (well, duh). Google News dominates (well, duh). But NewsNow still gets 23 per cent of this traffic (well…oh, actually, that’s quite interesting). Money fact: news aggregators only send 27 per cent of their traffic on to news sites. The biggest beneficiary of news aggregator referrals is…. Google
There’s lots more. Check it out.